Tuesday 10 November 2009

I’m a vegetarian and I like bacon.

And not this crappy, fake bacon. Real bacon.

This may seem utterly weird, a veggie eating meat. So what’s it all about?

I gave up meat six years ago, but have a constant craving for bacon. Becoming vegetarian was natural for me. I never ate much meat, except for chicken and bacon. I hated the taste of most meat, preferring the colourful richness of vegetables.

Something was missing though. My body was calling out for protein. So I eventually caved in. I wanted, needed even, bacon, smothered in ketchup in a floury bap.

And that’s what I ate, with fried mushrooms! With protests from my vegetarian mother of how I would be sick from one mouthful.

I’ll admit: I was a bit nervous. Yet faced with my task, I was surprised at how easy it was. And how much I enjoyed every explosion of flavours with each mouthful! Now, when can I have my next one?

No comments:

Post a Comment