Tuesday 20 April 2010

Fashion editor in Rome

So having a rather generous mother, I jetted off to Rome, Italy on Sunday. A well earned break after juggling two jobs, my masters, a part time social life and the roles of fashion editor, feature editor and secretary!

As well as seeing all the fabulous architecture, I also had an insight into Italian fashion. Both women and men are so stylish, even the teenagers. Men walk around in suits and they look good in them. Even those who work in restaurants and coffee shops are smart. The women are effortlessly chic, with smartly cut dresses and blazers.

It depressed me to come home to England. Home to men who think wearing a football shirt and tracksuits is acceptable. Home to women who constantly wear leggings or jeggings.

I loved seeing different clothes stores, instead of the same, old high-street chains. I loved seeing all the designer stores and how nobody is afraid to be fashionable.

Of course, it helps that it is sunny in Rome and exceptionally pretty. I enjoyed wandering the back streets, sitting on the Spanish Steps, having an ice cream at Trevvi Fountain. I liked imagining the gladiators at the collesuem, walking in the Forum and around Villa Borghese. My mother and I also managed to be part of a service at the Vatican with the Pope!

This trip also did wonders for my self-esteem. Italian men appreciate females. They compliment you. Two men even congratulated my Mam on her beautiful daughter! And one evening in a restaurant, two teenage boys bought me a rose each just because they thought I was beautiful! This would never happen in England. As someone with little confidence, I’ve had a big boost and am ready to concentrate on my masters and small change and leave my claustrophobic home town behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment