Thursday 10 June 2010

Five minutes with...

Rachel Lauren met with photographic model, Rebecca Magson, from County Durham to talk about modelling, the size zero debate and Rebecca’s appearance on Wedding Tv’s Brides on a Bus programme.

Being a photographic model, Rebecca works on sets rather than be in fashion shows. Her assignments are predominantly for lingerie.

Q. What made you decide to be a model?


A. Growing up I dreamt about being a model, despite being bullied at school for how I looked. I think it was my way of secretly standing up for myself; as long as I knew who I was nothing else mattered. It was only in the last few years that I had the courage to admit I really wanted to model as an adult. I went along to a casting I’d seen advertised and it went from there.

Q. How did you find a suitable agency who was willing to represent your work?


A. Those lucky enough will get scouted, but finding an agency yourself is hard work. It took me quite a while approaching agencies who wanted my look. Putting in the effort and getting yourself some great photos really helps demonstrate your ability and shows your commitment.

I thought a bit of publicity wouldn’t do my career any harm and it’s got me published in some top newspapers and magazines, including Heat magazine and the Daily Star.

Q. What was it like being on Brides on a Bus?


A. Brides on a Bus was a one off crazy experience for me. I was away for 10 days with nine other girls fighting to win a wedding, stuck with David Van Day, with contact with our fiancés, family and friends banned. We traveled from Lands End on a red double decker bus completing tasks as we stopped off at destinations going up the UK. My favourite competition was off-roading in a Landrover, I had so much fun doing that. I was glad to finally come off the show though, it was tiring and draining being filmed constantly and doing activities and I was ready to get back home to Sean, my fiancé.


Q. Who were you approached by to do the programme?


A. I saw an advert by chance to apply for the new series. I thought it looked like random fun and the chance of getting married for free was attractive, so I decided to go for it. When the other participants had to go for castings, the producers personally came to see me and offered my position on the spot, so my application must have been persuasive! I thought a bit of publicity wouldn’t do my career any harm and it’s got me published in some top newspapers and magazines, including Heat magazine and the Daily Star.

Q. What is your favourite aspect of modelling?


A. It’s hard to pick just one! I love clothes so I get to wear lots of gorgeous outfits and lingerie which is great. On a non-materialistic level, modeling makes me feel confident in myself and I enjoy the freedom to express myself on camera. Waiting to see the final image is the exciting bit and seeing it in print is the icing on the cake.

Q. What has been your favourite shoot?


A. I’ve enjoyed so many shoots. I think one shoot that I personally treasure was one which was submitted to PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) where I got to model with my rabbit, Bobby and one of my guinea pigs, Beans. It was really fun and the resulting images are amazing. Beans sadly died last month so the photos mean so much more to me now.

I’m also a big animal lover, and my fiancé and I currently have five guinea pigs and a rabbit.

Q. What are your views on the size zero debate in the fashion world?


A. Ridiculously small sizes such as the American size zero are so abnormally thin it should be banned in the modeling industry. It’s accepted that models should be slender for modeling fashion because the clothing falls better on the slim figure, and a size 8-10 is okay. Anything smaller and it’s beyond a natural woman’s shape; it’s fatally unhealthy which is just wrong to sugar up.

Q. What do you think are the differences between hair modelling and fashion modelling?

A. Hair modelling and fashion modelling is closely linked because of the beauty industry, however the requirements for both are differing. For hair modelling it is predominantly important to have fabulously conditioned hair and great facial structure to show off the design. Fashion modelling is more about the model’s figure, and in many instances are not the pretty faces you see in beauty, because the clothing is the most important aspect.


Q. What are your interests outside of modelling?


A. When I’m not modelling I’m preparing for it! I love reading the glossy fashion magazines for inspiration and tips and shopping is a great excuse for my job and for the retail therapy. I do love a laid back lifestyle though, living in the country is the best stress reliever, going for random walks and just taking in the scenery. I’m also a big animal lover, and my fiancé and I currently have five guinea pigs and a rabbit.

Q. Do you have advice for anyone wanting to be a model?

A. If you’re serious about modelling being your career, you have to make it a lifestyle choice too. The way you live and look after yourself reflects in your attitude to your work and the work you get. A strict beauty regime is the biggest positive impact you can make on your looks; the cleanse-tone-moisturise twice a day mantra really does work! Also eat as healthily as you can, get out for a walk everyday or work out, and put your money where your mouth is. Look after yourself and show those in the industry what you’ve got and sell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment